THE PRIVATE GARDEN
| 18-06-2021 - 20-06-2021
The gardens of Amsterdam are also called ‘the best kept secret of the city’ because you cannot see them from the streets. Almost all the houses on the Herengracht and Keizersgracht were once built as residential buildings with a garden for private use. Nowadays, when you walk along the canals, it is different: former private buildings are often used as office space, as a museum or hotel, and large new buildings are placed between the old rows of houses. Yet almost all gardens behind the buildings are still used as gardens. This year, enjoy the private and public gardens, of which the majority is normally closed. Take a look at the gardens behind the facades of the canal houses. Wander through the gardens and view them with the knowledge that they all once served a private purpose.
The aim of the Open Garden Days is to protect the fragile Amsterdam canal gardens. Part of the proceeds of the event go to the Canal Garden Fund, managed by the Prins Bernard Cultural Foundation. The aim is to financially support the restorations of historical gardens, garden houses and sculptures in the Amsterdam canal gardens.
- Some of the private gardens are only accessible via the main residence; visitors of the Open Garden Days are a guest in these homes, so please be aware of their privacy.
- Unfortunately, the gardens are not accessible to wheel chairs and perambulators. Dogs, backpacks and trolleys are not allowed due to the delicacy of the gardens. Your access will be denied.
- It may happen that a garden is not accessible at a certain time due to the maximum occupation of the garden. We ask you kindly to visit one of the other gardens first and come back later for a visit. We thank you for your understanding!
Friday 18, Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 June 2021 from 10 am to 5 pm.
Please note, there are a limited number of tickets available this year.
- Advanced booking until June 17: €18.00 (excl. €1,50 service charge) via Webshop of Museum Van Loon
- If still available you can buy tickets online during the event via Webshop of Museum Van Loon
: €20,00 (excl. €1,50 service charge)
- Children under the age of 12 can access the gardens for free, when accompanied by an adult
In the Open Garden Days information booklet, which you will receive at one of the start addresses, you will find all garden addresses with a brief description and a city plan. The addresses will not be published in advance. The ticket is valid for all three days. Each garden can be visited once (excluding Museum Van Loon).
For frequently asked questions about the ticket sales, please refer to: https://support.guts.tickets/hc/en-001